View Single Post
      06-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #14
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-tech7 View Post
So I finally did the brake change this weekend with the help of my brother in law. Took our time with it and done about 3hrs. Everything was going well but did struggle a little with getting the brake calipers on and off. We had to remove the brake line and pad senor bracket off in order to give us slack to slide the caliper off. Two 10mm nuts. No room with conventional sockets, so had to use open ended and ratcheting wrenches. We didn't remove the two caliper bolts like the video, only the two 14mm nuts. Once we had some slack we had to push the caliper pistons back and finally wiggle the whole calipers out. The hardest part was trying to align the two giude pins to line up with the calipers and the pads. The thing I find out that seem like a bad design was in order to just change the pads, you would have to remove the whole caliper. They should have made it where you could remove the "bridge" of the caliper and just slide the pads out. Like StopTech or AP racing. It would be much faster and easier for pad changes. But since I was change the rotors as well it didn't make a difference. Also I didn't end up greasing the back of the pads or contact areas of the calipers. I did use BMW pads and they came with back plates. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them.
The calipers used on the M are monoblock they a molded piece of aluminum that makes them more rigid than calipers that use a bridge bolt,They are better calipers but changing pads make it more difficult
2015 M6 Gran Coupe> DME stage 3 tune back end flash>JB4 with Methanol control>Fabworx Catless downpipes>Full Meistershaft GTC exhaust 102mm GB tips>Built motor with Forged Cp Carillo Rods and Pistons > SSP spec X clutch > Stage 1 Pure Turbos>PG front mount intakes>PG charge coolers>Vorsteiner front and rear Carbon diffuser>Auto Tecknic Carbon shift paddles>3D Design aluminum pedals
Appreciate 0