View Single Post
      11-17-2019, 02:59 PM   #18
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikespiegel View Post
what gen are you talking about? The S63 motor is pretty solid and my mechanic who specializes in BMW has said hes seen literally no issues w that motor/platform.

Maybe you're talking about the v10 era?
I am referring to the "current" gen, S63, F06/F12/F13 era. My independent shop owner in the Chicago area (who sees cars from all over the US and works on IND's cars) says either stay away from the M6s or stash a bunch of money for repairs! V10s had their issues as well. I'm not saying every car is bad at all. But enough had catastrophic issues that many people are very concerned about owning these out of warranty.

Worse, it is not just the rod bearings that resulted in complete engine failure. Here is just one thread:
https://www.m5board.com/threads/s63-...65-s85.602406/

I know people who have spoken to class-action attorneys but it has not moved forward due to the business model for the attorneys. Too low of a volume of cars sold to make a business case for them. That low volume is also why there is a perceived high percent of cars that have issues.

Point of all this is simply to give a sense of why one of the most beautiful cars made in modern times is worth so little, so soon. Demand (thus relative oversupply), reliability, and changing market tastes are all contributing factors.
Appreciate 0