Msparta
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msparta View Post
Lmao indeed it's simple only notice on their video they skip over the fitment and placement of the device and cable harness...

You too will pause and be like wtf... but it's possible just run the cables as organized as possible and slot the slack over to the back left then place the mmi flat against the back wall with connectors coming from the top side, then flush that as far left as possible so that the only open space left is on the right side of the mmi. That little void is barely enough to force the harness block to squeeze into - as you push everything closed and finish.

Connections and all takes 30mins or less.. sorting fitment was like 30 mins lol

Oh, test it before you screw anything down...

Tip: the harness terminals are shit quality, be careful not to break the end harness terminal clip as mine fell off and required careful handling.

Cheers!
I seen towards the end of the vid he placed the module underneith everything ,it looked like he dropped it into a hole and the wiring he shrunk up with velcro and said keep most if it towards the left, I believe you im sure it a pain to get all the crap stuffed into that tight spot ,Im sure it nerve racking to say the least,I would saying slow movements and taking your time will be your best friend

How do you like it so far?
Can you play the radio while your in Apple car play?
If there was something you dont like what is it ?Pros and cons

Thanks
I absolutely love the CarPlay experience using ios 14! As a huge apple fan it was missing from my eco system per say till now. I can say that so far the only learning curve I have experienced was with the Bluetooth configuration, let me explain.

So basically without this retrofit I would have my phone paired and so phone calls and music from my iPhone would just play and accept calls all using Bluetooth instantly without any cables or fussing... Also navigating sirius xm radio was instant as well no need to worry about much...

Now with the CarPlay retrofit you will have a new connection both WiFi and Bluetooth specific to CarPlay. Now keep in mind you can switch on your phone from the previous Bluetooth to the CarPlay Bluetooth and toggle between native Sirius xm and radio and then if you prefer to CarPlay Bluetooth to keep all flowing from this source.

To keep things from defaulting to native car Bluetooth I removed "forgot" the prior Bluetooth pairing and kept the new "CarPlay" pairing. The main reason to my preference was to keep my default experience 100% CarPlay.

The experience is a huge upgrade going to CarPlay, from accepting and making calls to speaking to Siri, to navigating the map and now sometime even newer for me which I have not yet tried is migrating to sirius xm CarPlay app vs the default native setup...

Switching back and fourth from nav and radio is just as simple as pressing the menu button on the idrive. It all works incredibly better then I would have expected.

Has the newness effect worn off? No! I am still learning on all the features and ui/ux and also exploring new apps that offer CarPlay experience - you install them on your phone and if they offer CarPlay capabilities they are instantly available... think waze app for example! Also Sirius app!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Whipple260.50