06-14-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
SanDiego640
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamvanja View Post
Interesting to read about the ZF 8-speed vs PDK.
Drove a V8 Panamera and Macan S (both PDK) and I prefer the ZF. PDK seemed a bit nervous and jerky in a slow city traffic. It did shift slight faster.
What makes PDK better for you?
I've driven the Panamera (PDK) in all kinds of traffic conditions ranging from driving is across country (from Minneapolis to San Diego where I bought it) to stop and go traffic and it has always performed smoothly. The biggest difference between the PDK and the ZF or any other traditional transmission is the speed of the shifts. They're not just "faster," they're virtually instantaneous.

For those who may not have delved into the mechanics of how a dual clutch transmission works, it has basically two banks of gears rather than one. While accelerating for example and you're in gear 2 on bank 1, the computer anticipates you'll soon need gear 3, so over on bank 2 gear 3 is already engaged, and when it's time to shift, the transmission instantly switches engagement from bank 1 (where gear 2 is engaged), to bank 2 where gear 3 is engaged. If you're still accelerating it anticipates you'll soon need gear 4, so back on bank 1 the transmission has gear 4 engaged and it's ready to go. (Forgive the terminology, it's just how I explain it).
Appreciate 1