LJohnson32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldTheRocks View Post
Great looking M6! I had to make an account just to give you a solid

Out of curiosity, are you sticking with the 5w-40 oil weight in that Minnesota climate? I thought original oil spec was 5w-30 but perhaps the thicker oil helps with rod bearing protection in the summer?

I have been eyeing a M6 coupe in the twin cities, just in my due diligence period of checking into the servicing to make sure I don't buy a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5UA5PONTE View Post
Brilliant taste! Thanks for the write-up (albeit I'm a bit late).
Thanks for the kind words! Appreciate you

Quote:
Great looking M6! I had to make an account just to give you a solid
Thank you! Appreciate that

Quote:
Out of curiosity, are you sticking with the 5w-40 oil weight in that Minnesota climate? I thought original oil spec was 5w-30 but perhaps the thicker oil helps with rod bearing protection in the summer?

I have been eyeing a M6 coupe in the twin cities, just in my due diligence period of checking into the servicing to make sure I don't buy a problem.
I have been sticking with the Liqui Moly Molygen 5W-40 throughout my ownership and have been very happy with the results. I have used it for about 40,000 miles now and performed oil analysis testing at every 5k oil change interval, and the results come back favorable every time with no increases in the presence of wear metals sample over sample. I do believe the additional weight at higher temps provides better protection for the rod bearings versus the 5W-30 — some owners in warmer clients have even reported success using Redline 5W-50 as well. A constant theme you'll find as well when researching the forum is that it's commonplace to perform your oil changes at a 2:1 frequency to the BMW recommended interval — one of the least expensive ways to ensure longevity out of the S63TU as well as proper warmup procedures before putting it under load. Sport Plus drivetrain mode also helps with thermal management as this mode lowers the target oil and coolant temperature values in the ECU for the engine, also adding to long term preservation of the oil life and consequentially the wear metals inside the engine as well.

Sorry to nerd out with the long explanation — just thought I'd share some tips as you look into M6 ownership yourself! Favorite car I've owned and it's taken care of me. Definitely not a lot of them running around in Minnesota, hopefully you find one worth pulling the trigger on! PM me with any questions, happy to help