View Single Post
      04-09-2021, 04:51 AM   #79
6coupe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

So the saga continues.

Since the recall work I've had various issues I think all stemming from the work BMW completed.

First I had an intermittent electrical issue where the car would appear fine, but wouldn't even try to start. Tracked down to loose wire in engine bay that sometimes would be just missing enough contact for the car to think about starting.

Second I had a sudden large loss of coolant as a hose had not been refitted correctly and had worked loose.

Those issues have been resolved for many months, but recently I've been losing coolant at an alarming rate. First time this happened I got in the car and had a coolant level warning. It took about a litre to get it back above minimum.

Car was inspected, no obvious or strong leaks found, possible loose hose clip was replaced as preventative. System pressure tested, no leaks found.

Just 100 miles later, low coolant warning again. Another litre plus to get above minimum. Car re-inspected, no signs of coolant in engine bay, undertray etc. no smoking from exhaust, no smell of coolant. System pressure tested, no leaks found.

So, this leaves only the recall EGR cooler to have failed and be dumping coolant into the inlet manifold when it kicks in. It's booked in with BMW next week to inspect the EGR cooler, and I've asked they remove and inspect the inlet manifold which by this point must be clogged up with thick tar. I've even added a fire extinguisher in the boot for the little drives just to the garage seeing as this was the whole reason for the recall and fire risk. Other than that, I'm not driving the car.

I've heard from an ex-BMW technician some of the recall EGR coolers are thought to have been faulty. Ironic really, no issues until the recall work was done.
Appreciate 0