02-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #71
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Functionally I don't see what the chopped wheel does for me. Gets rid of a lot of places to hold onto the wheel? Try to drive your current car with hands only at 3 and 9 o'clock and I think people will find it is really difficult, interested in hearing how this new wheel is better.

Same with the turn stalk next to the wheel, I haven't heard how the new solution is a "better".

The "any human input is an error" sounds like a good idea but I am curious to see how well it works. If there isn't a car in front of me in the parking lot, will it go forward or back or know which one makes more sense in the overall plan of where I am going. Same with backing out of my driveway and which way I go on my street, I always leave the same way even though half the time it is the longer route as one way out is far easier to get out onto the main road. The logic becomes a lot more difficult than just "shortest distance".
I think it was "it looks cool/different" for the wheel. Maybe more display space unobstructed? Joe asked a lot of the same things when he said a gear selector is going to be a thing of the past. Easy to poke holes in it, but if the idea (end goal) is to get in a car and say "go to work" and that's it - then I can see how the steering wheel and gear selector become things to get rid of. Elon told him he would see when they perfected it, but that he (Elon) had already been driving with no gear selector and it was amazing. We will see.

I like the idea of an all out push for self driving cars. Do I want one? not right now. But think about all those numbskulls that you see driving in the left lane clogging up traffic so they can be on their phones. If they were all in one of these in the right lane - we'd have a much clearer left lane!