View Single Post
      09-16-2020, 07:19 AM   #209
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

For the questions about why it can't be priced closer to the 10 year old (I think?) 370Z, while some amount of the components are carry overed, or off of other cars, they just spent millions on R&D, design, equipment and soon to be training to build the new model and now buyers have to pay for it. It's far cheaper to keep building what you have been doing for a decade, then they cut costs by using an existing engine and keeping the same chassis. There's a reason Toyota worked with BMW on their model, benefits being an inline 6, my guess a better chassis/suspension.

See the Charger/Challenger for an inexpensive V-8 that they know they can't redesign and come anywhere close to price of the existing cars, even if they reuse the suspension/chassis.

I think we will find that this car undercuts the Supra on price but not a huge amount and has a manual but the acceleration and handling will also be behind some amount.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...roto-revealed/

Nissan isn't discussing the chassis, leaving us to assume that it rides on the same rear-wheel-drive FM platform as before. It'll likely share suspension and brake components with the Infiniti Red Sport performance models. "The Z must have a strong connection between human and machine, like a dance partner," Tamura said, noting how the emotional aspects—driving feel, sound, and styling—are more important than objective performance here. We hope that's not an excuse for uncompetitive numbers, but Nissan is well aware of the other turbocharged 3.0-liter sports car coming out of Japan these days (well, by way of a BMW factory in Austria), the Toyota Supra.