View Single Post
      01-31-2020, 08:24 AM   #20
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
I would be a little skeptical of 5w50,I mean in real hot climates it should be fine, but up north on cold starts might not be to good for the engine bearings ,I know the guy troyup rebuilds a lot of the v10 engines and swears by red line 5w50 but thats a NA car, with turbos theres a lot of small lines the the oil is pumped through and being thicker might help one point but damage a next.
Most oils are really good today and I believe changing your oil at much earlier intervals is most important,I think even 5k is to long for an oil change on this engine the turbos beat the hell out of the oil ,I change mine every 2k no more than 3k I use LiquiMoly Molygen 5w40
I don't think there will be that significant of a difference at cold start, both are 5W. i guess it also goes on if you plan on starting temp, i put my car away until its at least 40F+ outside, so i dont see that 0F cold oil viscosity. Troy has started doing s63s too now and so far there have been good results with it.

I currently run the same 5w-40 molygen, but keep hearing good news with the redline 5w-50, i plan on "upgrading" to that and will keep up on updates for it. The real key i think is the interval time, which you are right on!