05-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #6
plm
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJohnson32 View Post
Thanks for the feedback on your experience with ColourLock. I think for the bolsters I'll be going with their products as there is some light wear that can be touched up with dye. How does the dye hold up over time?
It seems good. I dyed a bunch late last year and there's only one area I feel I could still improve on because I was being a bit conservative with my first attempt, so I'm going to re-do that soon. My car has Silverstone 2 leather with charcoal contrasting stitching, so I was having to be very delicate to get in between the two lines of stitching, and now that I have a selection of artist brushes for this task it'll be much easier.

Their sanding pads are good to prep the surface, and have a heat gun or hairdryer to hand to quickly dry each coat, so you can use multiple thin coats applied with foam blocks rather than go too thick in one go. It sounds a bit scary, sanding your leather, but it's very gentle.

There is a good 2-part video on Matt Moreman's Obsessed Garage YouTube channel where the guys from ColourLock went through the products and process on his M5. And they're also really good at answering questions and giving you product and/or application recommendations if you email them. And the product takes 2-3 days to come from the UK.
Appreciate 1