View Single Post
      06-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
That makes sense. I assume it just records 24/7, right? I've mine set up to record for a set amount of time where it keeps everything, then after that, only the motion detection. The idea of a UPS powering the NVR is not a bad idea. But what happens when the cameras get cut off also? Then I suppose they won't be recording either, right?

I saw the review on the PTZ you're mentioning. Insane how far you can zoom in. Do you ever shop on Aliexpress? The US resellers are literally twice as expensive as ordering it straight from China.
The NVR only records when there is a motion event. I have the sensitivity cranked up pretty high right now. You can adjust the motion detection field of view so it's not triggering on areas you don't care about. I haven't found where I can set how long the NVR stores the video. So far, it seems that the NVR just keeps recording till it runs out of space and then deletes the oldest video at that point. As I said, 4TBs of storage seems like it'll provide years of archives. The nice thing about the NVR is there is a calendar which you just click on the particular day you want to see any captured video. The playback screen has a time bar at the bottom you can grab and scroll. Any captured video shows up as pink bars. This allows you to be able to quickly hone in on the time interval you're looking for. The NVR will also record audio if the camera has this capability...another bonus.

As far as powering the cameras if the power gets cut off, the NVR has a built in PoE switch. If I were using the NVR to supply power and network connectivity, I would definitely use a bigger UPS to ensure the NVR and camera have enough juice to run for a bit. But in my setup, I'm using a separate PoE+ capable switch that is also on its own UPS'. The switch has dual redundant power supplies and I have each power supply on a separate UPS.

I haven't considered ordering direct from China. The people at Wrightwood have been very good about spending time with me on the phone and via email both pre and post sales. I'd rather pay more for the support I'm getting. But that's just my personal decision and what works for me.

And since you saw the review of the Dahua, you can now understand why I keep gravitating back to wanting to buy one.
Appreciate 0