bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If you know what you are doing with home electrical systems, you can inexpensively add a portable generator to power the house during emergencies. If you have easy access to the breaker panel from outside, say through a window, you can make a male-to-male 240V, 80-amp extension cord for the generator and back-feed the panel through a NEMA plug wired into the panel.

Far less expensive than an automatic standby generator system and works almost as well. Eliminates extension cords running all over the house. This set up lets you choose which house circuits to power AFTER you SHUT the MAIN switch OFF (to prevent back-feeding the electrical grid). I've run my house for days at a time that way.
We have a similar set up but permanent / set up by an electrician. Our large portable (17.5 kw) generator plugs into a connector that is wired to a separate panel through the garage wall. In order to use the generator power you have to flip power source from Main / electric grid to generator to power this panel only. When running on main power both panels are powered. Happily have only used it once in 10+ years but it worked well and powers everything essential including one central ac, one water heater, refrigerator, stove, most lights and ceiling fans, etc. Getting / storing gasoline isn’t much fun and it isn’t as easy as an automatic standby but it cost 90% less than digging up the yard for propane tanks and getting a standby generator. So not a bad option at all.
I had a manual bypass put in w/ when we had our house built a few years ago. It isn't a high amperage one but can handle the fridge, family room, 2nd floor HVAC, sump pump, and water heater. It'd be nice to have some more outlets or rooms covered but it's better than nothing. There's an outside NEMA connection under our 'deck' (4'x6' landing...).Certainly amongst the best $250 I've ever spent since I've actually had to use it.

We unexpectedly lost power for ~3 days last August during some choice, hot, humid weather. I picked up a 10kW (peak) portable generator (Generac) from CostCo, anchored it to our deck support, and fired it up. Loud (although not too bad inside the house) and it required a top off before work, after work, and maybe before bed but worth it to have slept and lived comfortably (air conditioning!), not have food spoil, and for the wife to not miss a beat working from home.