View Single Post
      04-21-2021, 10:41 AM   #16
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TON-III View Post
I feel topic starters pain while I'm also comparing my ex-car ( 1,5 t.) to this 2 t. sprinting elephant every now and then ......

These 6 series are more good looking and attractive than they are to drive.
Quite many times those a bit stupid moves are the bests in the end - I'm nowadays happy with my car !
I can say if I skipped 4er and jumped right to 6er I would have less concerns right now))) But, you are right for 100% they look better than run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
It sounds like you liked the 6 series until you actually drove one. You don't seem like you love it enough to buy one.
You may also know there are usually some other differences between a 640 and a 650 besides the engine.
Now, I am going to test drive 650 just to compare acceleration and that feeling with 640. And I am looking only for cars with these options: 2 doors, M package, comfort seats, led instrument cluster, would prefer black headliner and soft close for doors))). I do like a body and that wide armrest/tunnel between front seats. And I can't understand why they do not have an arm rest for rear seats but if you take off that middle pillow there would be a hole to a trunk or even nothing (like it was in a car yesterday, just tht fabric that trunk covered from inside).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanwansuii View Post
I will warn you, buying the 6 series will be a compromise in several areas. Not necessarily in a bad way, but this platform is "different" compared to many other BMWs.

I will list the compromises below:
1.) Sunroof: this tilts open, but does not slide. It's due to the design of the car with its sloping roof (though I think this is a poor excuse given other brands with sloping roof designs have fully functional roofs)
2.) Getting in and out the car is a hassle due to the low step in height. It takes some time getting used to getting in and out of the car.
3.) Visibility: this is due to the unique design (especially in the Gran Coupe) and the low slung interior. However, you get used to it over time. Parking is not a problem if you have the surround view cameras/rear view camera. Without this option, parking would be HELL.
4.) Weight: driving this car compared to a 3 or 4 series is VERY different. This car is not light whatsoever, and you feel it driving around town. It does feel every bit of it 4,100+ Ibs. However, the car is quite quick (both 640i and 650i) for its weight and is a TANK on the highway. And surprisingly, the 640 gets decent fuel mileage (20 city/28-9 hwy/22-23 combined).

**side note: If you are looking at purchasing a 640i, I'd highly recommend putting a Stage 1 MHD tune, in combination with an XHP transmission tune. It REALLY wakes up the 640i and makes it so much more engaging to drive. I am surprised at how much different of a driving character these 2 tunes have made. My Stage 1 tune brought the car to 360hp & 395ft lbs of torque. The car feels like a small V8 rather than a 6. Plus the shifts are lightning quick. I can only imagine what a Stage 2 would do.

Other than these issues, the car is general a good platform. Just takes a while getting used to its uniqueness.
Yes, I see your point. For me, as 6'5'', it is the same to get out of 2, 4 or 6 I use a body sill putting left hand on it))) My problem is I love with eyes but not a brain). I am pretty tall and slim, so bigger car's body looks more suitable and I am sitting surrounded with appropriate size (for my body) interior pars in 6er. In 4er I feel myself a little bit bigger than everything in a car)));

Pros:
- exterior;
- luxury interior;
- some new options and features (led cluster, soft close, m package, maybe line control);
- premium car.

Cons:
- heavy, poor acceleration (comparing to my current bm3 st 2);
- room inside, no space behind me)))) probably 2in or 5cm, in 4er i have like 4 in or 10 cm with same front comfort seats.
- sunroof(((, tilt is useless, I live in Texas and I use to drive all over the year with open roof and open side windows, literally each day unless raining.
- fear of bad luck with 650 or insufficient n55 for such body.

I can deal with acceleration by going the same way as I did for 435: charge pipe $230; downpipe $350; BM3 st 2 $0 for N55 and $600 for N63; plumb back BOV $200; FMIC $400, xHP st3 $0. So, ~$1200 and it will be running as fast as it can with stock turbo and fuel line...
Appreciate 0