View Single Post
      12-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #37
MrGatsby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
To generate enough wealth to afford a large collection of genuine watches, you have to be somewhat smart (with the rare exception of extreme luck *lottery winners, etc*).

To own such a collection brings a lot of pride. My very first Rolex was, at that point in my life, my greatest achievement. The FIRST thing I did was take out an insurance policy. The second thing I did, was buy a small safe which I hid behind a tie rack in my closet. Showing off my collection at home was of no concern to me, as I rarely walk my friends through my closet when they come over. I'd rather display my items when going out, and hide them for safe keeping when at home.

I do understand however that some collections deserve to be showcased, and perhaps my closet is not big (or high-end) enough to warrant a walk through.

So please help me understand why your "wealthy client" who must be quite smart, want's his other "wealthy friends" to walk through his closet and look at a bunch of replica watches? it makes no sense. The only time I would want to gallivant friends through my wardrobe is if I truly had a collection of genuine, show-worthy pieces.

If I were in his shoes, I'd simply beef up security, take the insurance claim, buy a new collection, and be damned sure to store those things out of sight and display them only when they are on my person.

The simpler explanation for all this is: you want a high end replica watch, you are worried about getting hate from forum members for saying so. Well, you'll get hate either way, (this is the forums after all), so simply be honest about your intentions and at least you'll get some respect for that.

Now that all that is out of the way, I do have a fair bit of experience in the watch world as I used to flip watches to support my ///M. I learned quite a bit about fakes and here's my .02 cents.

There's nothing wrong with a fake. A genuine watch is more about the personal achievement, a symbol of my hard work and success, rather than simply a fashion piece. To me, a watch goes way beyond the look. Its the heritage, the meaning, and the feeling I get when I wear it. To me, a fake doesn't fulfill those needs, it is not a symbol of success, or a representation of my hard work. To someone else it may give them all of those feelings of success. If you are the latter, go for it.

But be careful, as there are 3 main types of reps.

1) Cheap reps ~$50. These are made with quartz crystal, battery movements, and bare little resemblance to the genuine save for the name imprinted on the face. Stay away.

2) Mid tier ~150-200. These are also made with quartz crystal, Chinese drop-in automatic movements, and do look similar to gen from a far. Upon closer inspection you will notice many small difference in the details, and both quality of materials and QC of the watch itself.

3) High end ~400-700. These are the only reps I would advise to consider. Usually made with genuine sapphire crystal, ETA movements, and are very close to the genuine down the details and the movement itself. These are very good clones, and to the untrained eye, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I would start on RepGeek and RWI forums. There's even a post called, "NWBIG", its a list of reps SO good, they are "not worth buying in genuine". Between these two forums, you'll find everything you are looking for.

I wish you the best in your search, and I would strongly suggest not posting the story of your wealthy boss on either of said forums.
Appreciate 0