View Single Post
      10-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #4558
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Yeah, also swimming. Swimming will help him to use his muscles in a more balanced way. I'm in noway an expert in these injuries, but labs and swimming is a must, just as it is with german sheps.

Why did the vet recommend no surgery especially now that he is slimming down so well? Do you want shit for him to do and for tricks for the kids to teach him that'll boost his mental stage? I swear by making kids do the shit for us.
I've trained dogs all my life. My personal preference is towards article spitz such as the Finnish Spitz (one of those taught me to walk, and walked me to and from school every day till 14th grade. An absolutely fucking horrible breed to train, they love one person and don't give a fuck about anyone else), Karelian Bear dog, which is probably the best breed there is, and of course the german shep. I hate above all else Jack Russel terriers (currently owning my second of those) and all retrievers (k, I hate their owners. Fucking idiots.) And dalmatians. Those just fucking suck all around (just paid for one yesterday).

In my defence, Jrs are seen as hard core fucktards to train because they're so into their hunting. The finnish breeds are too smart to be trained, they train their owners, and all retrievers are too social for me. So basically I hate everything easy to train, but mostly I hate the folks who think they don't need to do shit cuz the dog is easy to train. Dalmatians are just annoying, even when they just breath, they're annoying.
Yeah, over the summer I had him swimming too, he was honestly getting better. Which is why we were more relaxed letting him off leash...and then he does his crazy run and makes it 100% worse.

The vet did present the surgery option, however, we are disinclined to go that route for a few reasons:

1. No guarantee it won't tear again, and surgery or no surgery, there is still a 40-50% chance the other leg will blow according to the vet (this surprised me).

2. Apparently there can be little complications from it (usually easy to repair by the sounds of it, but another $1K in work if you get the complications)

3. Surgery for one leg will cost about $5,500...but given the odds of the other leg going, you basically need to budget $11K.

4. He's an older dog, if he were younger and had more of his life ahead of him, I'd be more inclined to pursue the surgery.

5. He doesn't act like he's in pain, aside from holding his foot up, still the same gentle dog, no change in his behaviour in other regards, still thinks he ought to be taken on walks and gets very excited when he thinks he's going...but is constantly depressed because we leave him behind.

So if we can brace it and he can put some weight on it, I can start taking him for walks again, which he basically lives for. That and tennis balls. Which he isn't permitted anymore...no bursts of movement for him.
Appreciate 1
Lups11827.50