View Single Post
      06-04-2020, 01:16 PM   #11
RagtagXMASTER
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir harmony View Post
Absolutely not! What sense does it make to drain and refill refrigerant? It's not engine oil that gets dirty. If you have it drained but refilled with a 'sealing' agent, then that's a different story. I wouldn't advice anyone to refill with a sealing agent, but it makes sense and might work (drain and refill scenario).

This I agree with. But that's universal across all manufacturer lines and has been that way for decades.

I would love to see where you got that info. I'm genuinely interested to see the explanation and science behind that. I'm not disagreeing with you as there is potential to learn something. Maybe this is something new.

Guys, unless there is some environmentally friendly chemical in refrigerants, it is not supposed to decrease over time. A/C systems are sealed because refrigerants (R-12 and R134 for cars) damage the ozone. Recharging over time as some of you mention suggests that the system is venting into the atmosphere. No system is designed that way. You might get away with recharging every time the temperature vent gets warm, but the underlying root of the problem will persist.
Local service center to me has claimed that many vehicles come in for a "recharge" and they recommend a yearly checkup with a recharge every 1-2 years. Take that how you will, could be a tactic to draw customers in for service. I for one am not a fan of the stealership, but also don't know alot about AC systems in general. you could ask me a ton of questions about the cars oiling system, and id go into it for days because im interested by that, but for AC i never dove into it.

I dont have any hard numbers on the service of the AC in 6ers, just that local 6ers to me and a few friends that work at dealerships tell me. I dont think that im picking on a few cars that are poorly maintained either.

Could you go into more detail to actually educate us on the system in the 6? I feel like its a topic that is not really talked about often and gets pushed aside. Not having nice working AC is not cool. pardon the pun!