Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep1 View Post
Sorry, you missed my point. If the issue is some kind of test relating to the are bags in the seats when they are covered in a fabric as opposed to leather, then the craziness is Canada not relying on some kind of safety test done by the Europeans. The Germans have no speed limits on many of the autobahns and, having lived in Germany, I am aware first hand that the Germans are good at what they do. If the Germans tested the safety of the air bags in this situation, Canada should be able to accept the tests as adequate for Canadians. It is as crazy as the days when we had hulking big bumpers on our cars compared to the Europeans - our goverment finally saw the light and dropped the foolishness on that. The Europeans are usually ahead of us in many ways but North Americans typically don't see that.
No, sorry, you are missing the point. It doesn't matter whether it is seat fabric, airbags, microwave ovens... No country will give up its lawmaking to another nation or other government body, and with good reason. I'm sure the European tests are great, but we have no opportunity to influence them in any way. I agree that it would make sense for Canada / US and Europe to standardize their regulations on cars, but even in the case of the bumpers, we changed our regulations, we didn't just decide to get rid of our regulations because the Europeans had their own.