10-16-2020, 11:11 AM   #19
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
The Germans have been jealous of the OTA updates that Tesla can do. I guess this is the first iteration. Long time coming.

Do these cars have the ability to patch into a WiFi network?
Remote Software Update has been a thing on the M340i, for the last couple of years; so I'm not sure why this is now considered cutting-edge 🤷🏻

Software updates discussions https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1638594

It's just now iDrive 7 is augmented with some added features, namely, the usage of a cloud-based, real-time navigation and voice control, exactly as how your phone processes map on a APP, via an active internet connection and not off a harddrive.

Remote Software Update is cool for the laymans but keep in mind, for the enthusiast that likes to thinker with their vehicle, it adds a communication portal, in real time updates, of the diagnostic status, between your vehicle and BMW headquarters. Meaning, software mismatches, such as aftermarket flash tune, would be able to be detected more readily.

Also, its been confirmed with 100% certainty, with every remote software update, it wipes out all your FDL personal coding. So there's that..

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
F32Fleet3566.00
Igor_M52134.00