04-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #34
M6DYS
SPEED DEMON
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM6GC View Post
I also ran the JB4, I had been running the JB piggyback since 2007 on various cars starting with the 335i and for the first time on a BMW i had the M6 flash tuned and to be honest I'm not going this route again. Next car i'm sticking with Piggy back even though it's a pain to install and remove with the BCM, you have to remove an intercooler, drain the coolant and refill. There is a piece of mind to knowing that you are not altering the BMW ECU data and that once you remove the piggy back there is little to no trace of it ever being on the car. On the JB4 map 2 I was making good power but there are drawbacks like the speed limiter and that you cannot run downpipes without having an error code on the dash which is why i went with a flash, I am very happy with it but always worry about my warranty and the powertrain.
I totally understand what you’re saying. Many avid high performance tuner technicians and racers do prefer the flashes over piggybacks. I have been adding tuners to my vehicles since 2003. But, only once I have ever added a piggyback tuner to any of my vehicles. And it what I have on my 6 currently. I’m not a fan of piggyback tuners though. I hate the fact that I have to physically install them mechanically to my vehicle. Plus, for dealership visits, they have to be removed because they can be seen or found very easily. With the flash tuners, I can remove it at anytime without having to physically remove parts, etc.

I noticed that you haven’t mentioned which other tuner you would have gotten over the jb4, if money weren’t a factor?
Appreciate 0