08-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #2157
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
OK, might be the wrong place to ask this but you guys have way more experience than I do. I own several shotguns but I'm thinking of picking up a hand gun to keep in the house. Mostly self defense and at this point I'm not looking for something for concealed carry. Think 9mm is the way to go and from what I can tell SIG and Glock seem to be the go to choices. Any advice/suggestions? TIA!
Standard practice is to go to a range and rent a few to try. If you can't do that, hold some at your store or shoot a friend's. Between a Glock and a sig in 9mm the biggest differences will be the grip angle and the trigger. I shoot both equally but for some people it makes all the difference.

If your only option is to hold them at the store, get a good grip on it and look how it aligns with your forearm. Ideally it will be perfectly aligned.

Of course, some guns just turn you on be it looks, manual of arms, features etc. all else being equal, pick the one that does. If it's more relatable to you you'll probably shoot it better.
Appreciate 0