View Single Post
      12-23-2020, 12:15 AM   #136
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I don't have disdain for college graduates. I am one myself (a BA and a BS), as are both my parents and all 4 of my grandparents. I have disdain for the systemic infestation which has turned former hotbeds of rigorous debate, and bustling marketplaces of ideas, into indoctrination depots.

Discussions can end quickly for any number of reasons. On rare occasions, one side's arguments and assertions are so well-crafted and compelling and self-validating that they instantly and forever vanquish the opponents' arguments. More often, one side quickly realizes that the other side is ideologically possessed and rigid, and that the discussion is doomed to be fruitless despite their own good will and sound ideas and thus leaves the discussion. I'm sure all of your quickly-concluded discussions are the former case.
It's been many years since I graduated. At the time, my experience in both my undergrad degree and my graduate degree studies are nothing like you describe. Since it's been so many years, I really don't know if the systemic infestation in higher education to which you refer is true or not.

Look, all systems and entities, education and otherwise, have good and bad players. For you to paint higher education with such a broad brush is probably not accurate description of the education system as a whole.
Appreciate 2
muniz_ri447.50
5.M0NSTER3353.50