01-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #157
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
I agree that buying these fabulous cars should imply some exclusivity, if I had an M3 I wouldn't like to see all my neighbors driving the same car.
But obviously, mechanically there is no match between a real M and any other version of the same model (engine, gearbox, chassis settings...). Stylistically as well, a real M will also always hold a few exclusive attributes (specific air intakes, side gills, quad pipes...). So no matter how close to the real deal BMW will make these other versions (M Sport, M Performance), they will always preserve enough mechanical and esthetical specificities to not dilute the intrinsic qualities and the image of the real M cars.

Knowing that well, I guess an M driver shouldn't be pissed that a more downmarket version of the same model would have an M logo on its trunk lid, unless he values his own car mainly for its logo. Motorsport is not just an M logo, it's fantastic cars to drive (I never owned one, but it seems so...) and if those drivers really value their cars, they won't quit BMW merely because BMW are selling a piece of the icing on this M cake to more modest customers. And again, even with an ///M335i logo on the trunk, the car will look signfificantly different and clearly not as iconic as the same car wearing the ///M3 logo, a rear spoiler and quad exhausts.

If I drove a genuine M, I would probably be happy to see M Sport and M Performance models here and there on the streets. Not because I would be thinking that others crave for but cannot afford what I can, but because I would be flattered to see that many people appreciate and respect what genuine M cars stand for
I don't disagree with you.

A few months ago, a Porsche salesman was trying to convince me to buy a Porsche because "at least everyone will know you have a Porsche. With an M3, everyone will think you are driving a 328i coupe." Personally, I prefer being under the radar because I don't want to park something that looks too expensive at work. I already get noticed because I drive a "BMW". And my 335i will probably look more "expensive" to the average Joe than my incoming M3, 'cause it's got the beige interior, wood trim, chrome stuff, etc.

What I was trying to say was that you can milk the M Brand to a certain point. It makes good business sense, it can please those who don't need or want an M car but want more "sportiness" and, as you kind of said, imitation is the best form of flattery, right?

But when you take it past a certain tipping point, you make it less desirable to the masses precisely because it is more available to the masses.

Now, on the other hand, *if* this leaves them room to:

(A) make their regular series cars more sedate (for the would-be Lexus, MB customers)
(B) make their M-Performance line what BMW should really be about - balance of sportiness, practicality and luxury (e.g. what the new regular 5 series has strayed away from), and finally
(C) keep their (true) M line as it has been

Then this might be a better strategy than I had hoped...