View Single Post
      01-29-2021, 09:22 AM   #13
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
This brings up another question...are you working with your university's career center yet? Most have one, and will assist with writing your resume in a format that gets past the initial AI screenings and lands their students interviews. They also have their own networking connections with major employers, and sometimes even have an alumni network where alumni help new graduates land their first jobs at the companies they work for.....
Yeah kinda forgot to mention this part but dude hit up your favorite professors, tutors, classmates that graduated before you and got jobs, people you did internships with. Right now that IS your network. It’s Penn - that isn’t exactly a slum school nobody has heard of and I’m 100% sure if you have a professor whose class you aced or who just liked you, you can leverage that. Don’t discount letters of recommendation from them at this point - and you can also probably “assist” with writing one for them and presenting it to them for edits / signing (do NOT ghost write something without their knowledge or approval).

Also don’t discount campus jobs - might not pay well but even a few months of experience to get your foot in the job market door beats doing nothing but job hunting for that time. You need to get actual work experience on the resume.

P.S. At least for my school, I knew quite a few people who went from tutoring > graduation > campus job > jumping to a private company 1-2 levels above those who just got straight into a private company. And depending on the university pay can still be competitive. I also had professors who taught the early bird 0600 classes before they went to work and openly admitted they were using their classes to scout talent - started off every semester with “you guys may have heard but I’m a full time ____ at ____. Top 5 in my class I offer internships. If you’re in one of my senior / master’s classes, that internship turns into a full time position.” My college roommate and 3 classmates all ended up working for him for 2 years fresh out of college. No interviews, just offers. He essentially used the entire semester as an interview to see how well we worked together, learned, etc. I was top 10 but not top 5 lol. Still though.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615209.50