View Single Post
      10-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliartis View Post
Yeah, I guess the real question is how often are there massive repairs like 3k and up? Everyone goes to the internet's when there is issues but no one posts, "just letting everyone know my engine is running". I guess what is my real exposure is the real question. Right now I think carchex is leader for the warranty if I go that route if anyone has used them and has thoughts
The answer to your question is "not very often." This is a fairly active forum as forums in this price range go. Now that these cars with the N63TU are getting to be up to 7 years old the forum is still not filled with people asking about engine repairs. It's filled with people asking about tuning and different exhausts and wheels and spoilers. Those posts are the equivalent of people saying "just letting everyone know my engine is running." Most people who talk about V8 reliability don't own one. Insurers are eager to sell you a policy because they also know the odds are in their favor.

I don't think the engine or transmission are what you should be worried about. However, a $100,000 car bought for $25,000 is still a $100,000 car when it comes to the day to day cost of ownership. If you don't DIY, oil changes are over $100, dealers will want over $600 to change your spark plugs and $150 to put in an air filter. Tires cost more, brakes cost more, etc. If you drive in town much you can almost literally watch your gas gauge moving. These cars can cost a lot own but not because the engine fails.
Appreciate 0