View Single Post
      02-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Favorite Convertible?

Over the last 8 years I have owned 3 different convertibles, and many years ago I owned a couple others. Each was good in its own way, some practical, some not at all.

1981:
1968 VW Beatle, with a Myers Manx knock of fiberglass tub and a home made convertible top. I had this at 18 years old, and lived in Oregon. It was not practical, but I was a kid: Lots of fun to drive, loud and slow. This lasted a year and maybe 1500 miles.

1985:
1964 Buick LeSabre.
It was a giant boat, held six full sized adults, plus 3-4 in the trunk and got 10 miles per gallon. I owned this 2 years and 6K miles.

1988:
1981 Fiat X-19 Targa.
Sort of a convertible, it was fun to drive, but slow, prone to dying in traffic, and completely impractical. I had it about a year and 2K miles.

Big gap in years as I got married, had a kid, divorced, retook up bikes, etc.

2009:
2008 Saturn Sky Redline.
I had this for six years. It was fast, handled great and a blast to drive. It had a manual top that required you to get out of the car to deploy or put up, a trunk the size of one GS pannier, and was not a great distance car. I put just 20K miles on it in 6 years, with the first year seeing 12K miles.

2005 Mercedes CLK 500.
I got this for practicality. It was 4 seats, had a usable trunk, automatic top, great power, and pretty luxurious. It also was a lot like a boat to drive, especially after the Saturn. It wallowed and floated. A great distance car, and very comfortable. But a little uninspiring to drive. I had it 2 years and around 5000 miles.

2011 BMW 128i Convertible.
I picked this up a few weeks ago. It has a 3.0 6 cylinder naturally aspirated motor, 7 speed trans, 230hp and is pretty quick, but not particularly fast. It has a 2 plus two kind of seating. I can ride in the back, but it is tight. Not great for anyone tall, but perfect for my wife and I, and to take a friend or two short distances. It rides and drive between the Sky and Mercedes. It handles very well without being overly stiff, so a good tourer and can handle the curves, especially in sport mode. It has a reasonable trunk and automatic top, plus all modern features. Likely the perfect blend of cars for me.

So, what is/was your perfect convertible?