View Single Post
      04-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #62
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Don't get me wrong. I do like the looks of the six and at the $100K price point, it is the best thing one can get in its class. The Maserati indeed is well above that price, as is the Aston. And comparing those two against the 6GC, there's no question the 6er is a far better value in more ways that just price.

I just don't think the different exterior design from the 5er is worth $20K+ premium (once optioned as I would have it), particularly as I have an F10 535 as my "nice car." When the 6GC was initially shown, I'd thought, "Well, if it's priced about 5 or 10 grand over the five, I'll just go ahead and trade in my 3er and it'll be my new daily driver." When it came to be nearly $25K over the 5er, I ceased to feel that way.

It's just a personal pet peeve of mine regarding the re-deployment 5 series "bits" underneath different sheet metal. Indeed that could be a result of my own misunderstanding. I've always thought of the six series as a different car from the five. Accordingly, for a $20K premium, I want a car that actually is different, not just different looking. Truth is, I still don't know why BMW doesn't just sell the GC cars as the regular sedans, other than because they can, for sleek or not, it's still a sedan in my eyes.

The other thing is that I'm a buy-it and keep-it person, rather than a lease-it person. My F10 is just coming up on being two years old and barely has 10K miles on it. (Even my '07 E92 is below 50K miles.) So, technically speaking, I have two very nice cars neither of which need replacing, so that too affects my willingness to shell out big bucks for a car that's at its heart is just like one I have.

Perhaps I'll feel differently in a few years when my E92 is truly ready to be replaced.

You would be surprised, it wasn't that much off in price. The msrp on a fully loaded 650gc ended up coming out to 122K, both the aston and maserati were not much higher. But you can't compare the deals you will get from bmw to aston or maserati, especially if you are leasing.

But I completely understand where you are coming from, the 6gc is not a practical decision at all, especially when the m5 is more powerful and has more room.There is no doubt that the GC is overpriced, especially if you compare it to the CLS or S7, but at this price point I think most people will pay more for what they really want instead of compromising.
Appreciate 0