View Single Post
      12-03-2021, 09:00 AM   #7183
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
BMWGUYinCO thank you for sharing that story with me. It is truly sad what that young girl witnessed and experienced at such a young age. People do not give enough credit to children that young that those experiences can/might affect their emotional outcome as they age. I can't even imagine how tough it was for that family who wanted to do a good thing but in turn it turned their world/family upside down. I don't think we make or have enough resources available. Mental health is severely underserved in the United States on various levels.

As far as DCFS, I don't know what goes through their head at times. I will say that they see a lot of the worst in adults when it comes to abuse to children and what they experience. I do give them grace from the standpoint that it is a taxing line of work. When you lose objectivity or the ability to see a situation for what it is, it is time to change your line of work. I say this from the standpoint of them being in charge of a childs life. This is where CASA is important from an advocate standpoint. They are brought in on cases because we typically only have 1 and are able to spend time doing things that DCFS might not have the time to do due to their case load. It should be a collaborative approach for the best of the child. Often times, they see us as threats especially when we testify in court that the child has not had their needs met by DCFS or we see things that may not align with DCFS's stance on that child. It's a lot.

As far as me resigning, I called my supervisor this morning and spoke with her at length. She asked me to think about it over the weekend and talk again on Monday. The sad part about all of this is the foster parent wants the person who is caring for the child (family) to continue to bond with them and help raise the child. The foster parent wants to keep the title that he adopted the child. It's completely selfish. My conversation last night was all I, I, I, I, I from the foster parent not lets look at what's best for the child.
How are you doing - where is your head at? I know you still have the weekend, hoping you do what's right for you. It may be that this isn't it, but that there is a more effective way you can help kids (and be a giant thorn in DCFS side too as an added bonus), or maybe this is the best avenue and you just need a little mental break and then get back to it.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00