View Single Post
      12-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #7173
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
This is solely volunteer. I don't make any money and this is not associated at all with my actual job.

I'm just so upset. I really don't understand how a social worker gets to have so much authority. This one doesn't even know the entire case and formed a decision. That's not ok. It's not objective. One person gets to be the deciding factor on a child's life. There should be a panel of at least 3 people looking at it objectively. I'm just frustrated and venting.
You know, in our society we glorify athletes and musicians every moment on TV, social media, etc.....

But real heroes (front line workers, teachers, volunteers such as yourself on behalf of children especially and many more I am not even mentioning here) get token appreciation.

Sorry you are trying and not being heard. Here is a story with an opposite twist, but the same problem.

17 years ago, our neighbors adopted a highly at risk 2 year old girl. She had parents who were drug addicts and beat her. Our neighbors are the nicest people we know....but the child grew up with severe behavioral issues, often violently attacking (with knives and other harmful objects) the natural siblings and her adopted parents. She cursed out teachers and other adults, destroyed property, etc. The parents did everything they could including years of counseling, - they even spent $150,000 on a program that deals with children with severe issues. Nothing worked, I think the poor child's brain was damaged by abuse.

But here's the thing - DCFS got involved and starting levying charges against the parents because the girl would literally break a window inside their home and run away. The parents were charged with abuse or abandonment of a child and actually ended up in court because of the case worker levying these charges. We would often see police vehicles in front of our house because the neighbors had to start documenting proof of what was going on (they wanted the police to see that they were not harming the child, and that the child was out of control - she once bit and fought a police officer trying to calm her down). This must have happened at least a dozen times.

End of story - the girl is now almost 18 and hasn't been home in months. The parents did have to go to court, but because they had to amassed so much evidence that they were not harming or kicking the child out, the judge immediately dismissed all charges against them....but again, all because the DCFS case worker wasn't taking the time to understand the situation.

It was really hard on that family - it almost tore them all apart. The natural siblings had issues because of all the attention the problematic adopted child was given, - their marriage suffered...
Appreciate 5
rebekahb3132.50
Sedan_Clan25106.00
Mein11422.00