09-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #29
Marcus Frost
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
All true statements, but it's priced almost twice the wholesale price of a non-manual. Also, demand for manual transmission M6 has always been low unfortunately. This is coming from someone who is a manual enthusiast.
It's an interesting logic to try to apply logic to valuations these days.

Right now if you look at cars like the F430, a Murcielago, or even like an R8 V10 - the delta between manual and "auto" has grown exponentially. In the case of the F430, it is actually far more than it actually costs to convert the car because the F1 trans is basically a manual trans with a computer controlled shifting assembly attached. There is a company in Texas that is converting cars left and right.

Look at what a 997.2 Turbo 6-speed sells for. It sells for more than a 991 Turbo or Turbo S with similar miles!

I've started seeing E46 M3s (which I had) sell for $40k and more... not with 50 miles either, with decent miles, and ALWAYS in 6-speed. The SMGIII can also be converted to a traditional manual shift! Why the premium?

A Cadillac CTS-V Wagon also came in a 6-speed but sold terribly new, now in the aftermarket - clean ones sell for almost MSRP. This is a car that last sold in 2014. I had one. The autos are significantly cheaper, but it's more difficult to convert on this car because you need a new trans, drive shaft, rear end, wiring, and more.

It doesn't necessarily make dollars and cents, but it's clear that cars that weren't popular new, and even not popular used, when they have a manual transmission they are having a renaissance. There just aren't new cars coming in manual, and that has increased demand for older ones. Some people like much older ones, some people like newer ones. The F13 M6 is the last of it's breed, with only 60 examples world wide, and being a real M car that is actually really fun to drive with a 3 pedal gearbox, I think will only increase in value while their dual clutch counterparts see more traditional depreciation curves.

Maybe this car is too expensive, maybe not. I'm just giving my two cents.

-m
1969 Lincoln Continental Sedan
Appreciate 0