03-08-2021, 01:49 PM   #52
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Huh? I am very confused by your comment as it doesn't align with my post at all. Maybe a misquote?

If it wasn't. What do you mean by people being negatively impacted and forced into new and expensive technology?

Currently, it EV technology can be cheaper than ICE depending on incentives. My 530e was cheaper than a 530i by almost $6K due to Federal EV Tax Rebate. That doesn't include some state incentives like NJ where EVs aren't subject to sales tax either. This is all in 2021 where it isn't always true that the EV is more expensive. But this varies by vehicle and by individual consumer reality (not all buyers can fully take advantage of the tax credit and not all live in NJ etc). This is all top line costs we're discussing here which excludes stuff like reduced brake wear due to regenerative braking and etc to help soften ongoing maintenance costs.

Even with all of the above being said. New car buyers are a smaller subset fo the market. The majority of car buyers are buying used cars which are in no way affected by these changes (at least in the US). The constitution protects cars that were legal on the day they were sold so you'll see ICE cars in the used market for many years to come and they'll still be very affordable for those buying used cars in all forms for many years to come as well.
It's not reality using a 5-series ICE vs. EV for a cost comparison. First off a 5-series is more than $20K above the average price of a new car (US market) @ $40K. The incentives on the EV are subsidizing the price with imaginary dollars that are just added to the national debt, which has to be paid back eventually. EV tech cost gets equivalent to ICE at least a decade from now if not longer unless gasoline is artificially increased in price, which is easily done with the stroke of a pen by an environmentally biased politician.

At this point, any version of a Honda Accord is far less expensive to operate in lifecycle dollars than ICE. $20K of gasoline buys 240,000 miles of transportation at current gas prices for a 30 MPG car. That's 20 years of driving. The EV payback is not even close.

What Dog Face is discussing is, should gasoline prices be drastically increased artificially, it will force people into EV who can't afford it both convenience wise and cost wise.
Appreciate 1