08-12-2020, 09:39 AM   #2466
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahh View Post
Just getting into the gym for the first time in my life (for lifting) at age 28 . I've always had a slim build (grew up playing soccer) and maintained a pretty good weight 6'3" ~180. Since moving away from my apartment in the city near the river a few years ago, I've stopped running, but still drinking and eating carelessly. I hit 220 lbs during covid and I've decided to start going to the gym regularly. I'm about 5 weeks in and I got at least 4 days a week focusing pretty much solely on lifting vs cardio. Starting to see some real results has been motivating. However, I am having trouble with deadlifts, any of you taller guys out there have similar issues? I just can't get the motions down and I feel like my legs are always in the way.
I'm 38 so I have a bit slower metabolism than you likely so take that into account. I've been going about 4 years 5 days a week. When I started I was 236 at my peak (5'10") and incorporated cardio and lifting and built strength and muscle but couldn't cut the fat. Intermittent fasting worked for me...but only in intervals of 2-3 weeks at a time. I'd quit eating by 7pm, and wouldn't eat lunch until 11am, skipping breakfast (and protein). I'm hovering around 208 right now...as I recall it took roughly 3 months to cut that weight once I started IF.

It's slow going but I never lost strength this way...and it was fairly effortless as mornings are pretty easy to stay busy and keep your mind off food. After 2-3 weeks though your weight loss tapers off and should go back to normal routine. You'll gain a few lbs back but then stabilize...or at least I did.

As for deadlifts...like you I never could get my form down. I would make micro corrections as I constantly was trying to get it to feel natural. In the end those micro corrections caused a muscle spasm which tweaked my lower back, pulled my left hip up and took me out of the game for 3 months, with pain that I still have 2 years later.

My advice would be if you're struggling with your form, keep the weight VERY light where you're not struggling. Focus more on the form where it feels natural at that weight..then start increasing...SLOWLY.

I was doing 405 when I threw my back. Now I'm at 225 and absolutely refuse to go heavier.
Appreciate 0