View Single Post
      05-10-2017, 01:06 AM   #19
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Others had mentioned this, but I have yet to see anything in the way of official confirmation.

No doubt it is currently not being built, but unless there is some official word (which may very well exist in the form of a dealership memo) it could still potentially return later this year (as noted by R&T - that's unknown). The M3 is currently facing that type of situation right now (in North America only), so it's not out of the question. On the flipside - we never saw any memo about a 6 Series coupe delay either. With the M3 we did see such a notice given.

That being said, I would not be surprised if it were genuinely gone for good. It sold in small numbers. And what other BMW could have gone two months without being in production with almost no one thinking twice about it (or discussing it)? But that being said, I would not necessarily expect the new 8 Series to be released as early as next year. It might happen, sure. However, with the X2, X4, and 3 Series Sedan launching then, it seems crowded already. I suspect it will come 2019 as an MY2020 at the earliest. Although 2019 looks set to be crowded with new BMW launches as well - 1 Series hatchback, 3 Series Touring, X5 - maybe more ("Z5"?).
A lot of people moan about the number of models BMW have, but it will be odd to see a gap between 5 and 7.

It was a beautiful car in its day, but it was very expensive and very heavy. This duty makes sense going to the 8 series.

I hope BMW takes the opportunity to do something bold and radically different again with the 6er, and yes, whilst the rumoured 911 competitor is probably pie-in-the-sky it doesn't hurt to dream big and aim high. Shedding 300 - 400 kg and looking for sports car dynamics would be a great start.
Appreciate 1
mweine46.50