12-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #96
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
The S58 is very similar to the S55. It has all the same strengths (power, cooling, reliability) and fixed some of the weaknesses (crank hub, slightly improved sound) but its by no means compares to the change from a naturally aspirated S65 to forced induction S55. I'd be surprised if the S55 is eulogized, its effective but dull. Drive an E90 M3 back to back with an M2C, the M2C is numb and lacking soul by comparison and its literally the best BMW can cough up in this generation. I was sorely disappointed with mine for that reason (despite the fantastic chassis, diff, electronics) but perhaps I was expecting too much.
The E90's notoriety was it was only M3 with V8, but the car was heavy & the engine was kind of anemic and needed to be revved up which isn't always practical in everyday driving. The F8x was lighter, more powerful and immediate. The E90 clearly sounds better but the F8x clearly looks better.

Overall, I agree with the conclusion from bmwblog.com: "As the proud owner of the E90 pictured above and one who is frequently guilty of ///M nostalgia, this author really has nothing to gain from capitulation, but resistance is futile. The M4 is so clearly superior to the E9X generation M3 in every performance area. And not only that, the M4 is just as playful and fun as the E9X or any past generation."

And I would put the M2C as even better the F8x in terms of driving experience.
Appreciate 0