View Single Post
      04-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #556
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Okay, so if we call the lower output B58 TU2 the "M2" and the higher output model the "O2" for now (acknowledging that the actual names could differ, e.g. possible "T2"), then that would mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
TU2 but a lower level tune.
Same as 740i, hybridized.
the B58 M2 retains the "40i" name and the hybrid B58 M2 retains the current "45e" name...

Quote:
Same new version of B58 that we'll see in M245i, hybridized.
while the the B58 O2 is bumped to "45i" and the new B58 O2 hybrid gets the "M50e" badge.

Hopefully if that's the way it goes, it comes across less "weird" IRL.

So no V8 model (be it mild hybrid or PHEV) is known yet, then. We'll see how this progresses. I am still unconvinced the non-M V8 is going away completely. I feel like its got to stay for the SUVs at least, and at that point you might as well put it in the 7 and 8GC (two door 8er models have uncertain future) as well.

Quote:
Unlikely that powerful - will need two motors for that but it's a RWD model.
Good point, although at some point I expect dual rear motors to be a thing in BMWs. Maybe not by 2022 though.

In any case, it's going to get messy if they start using the same name numbers on vehicles with completely different motor configurations. I suppose it will be the battery capacity alone that drives the numbering scheme now, but if so that's going to be confusing for awhile.
Appreciate 0