EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
I've been fighting some light misfires on my tunes M6, only when it's hit and been running hard. I've added E85 to see if that helps but I may mix in MS109 if the E85 doesn't help. I'm running tighter gapped, colder plugs as well as brand new coils, so my shop and I have determined it fuels related. Next step is to get it in the dyno, get it nice and hot and run some diagnostics. But the wrong octane, WILL lead to issues of some sorts. My case is perfect proof, even though I'm tuned so the variables are more detrimental than a stock tune.
You're talking about a tuned car and driving hard. You are part of the 1%. 99% of M6 drivers (my estimated % but you my point) are not tuning them and not driving them hard. Simple daily drivers and 87 octane will be just fine. I can give you hundreds of thousands of miles of personal experience to prove it. Remember, octane does not equal quality.

On a separate note, E85 is a completely different Beast. Engines are not designed to run on E85 unless they're flex-fuel certified. So in my opinion, if you put too much E85 in the tank, it will do more damage long term than filling regular old gasoline at 87 octane, which will not do damage to the engine if you drive it normally.
We keep going in circles here. I mentioned I am tuned and running hard which is why I'm experiencing issues. While a stock tuned car won't have issues if they're not running it hard. Said it numerous times and you keep quoting like I haven't stated that already. If I'm not pushing my car at all and running 93, I have no issues. It's purely how the car is driven.

E85 blend has been known to be perfectly fine for our cars. You just can't have to high of E85 content. Max 4 gallons. It's well documented. A manufacturer like BMW won't say it's safe to run since you really can't run a full tank of it. They SHOULD say you can't run it. Cause there will be some dumbass that will run full E85 and wonder why they have issues.

Regardless, the E85 at 4 gallons is a temporary fix for MY issues. I have a VP Racing less than a mile away and will run an MS109 mix with 93 to help. My issue is directly linked to predetonation due to heat. I have zero issues until I'm running it hard consistently. On trips, I'll run pure 93 cause I won't need it. The car is tuned for 93 so I won't run anything else.