View Single Post
      01-22-2022, 10:10 PM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Finding a good GC is very difficult IMO, but so is finding a good plumber, electrician, carpenter, floor guy, drywall guy, etc. Few seem to care about getting your business, which is doubly true when they are super busy. Then many who do care seem over eager and shady.

Doing the GC role yourself saves the 15%+ markup GCs charge for all the subs and gets you direct contact with the guys doing the actual work, many of whom can also deal with permits and can make references to other trades. It does take time and dealing with BS, but so does calling the GC to tell them the sub isn’t there or isn’t working out or worse if the GC sucks. I see the theoretical value of a GC, particularly for a big job, but every time I started going down that path for smaller remodel type projects, the cost comparison didn’t work for me. Plus now I have a relationship with a great carpenter, plumber, electrician, tile guy, wood floor guy, etc. and learned some things as I dealt with them and others. But I have also had bad experiences with different electricians and plumbers, etc. before finding the ones I like. If you know other people who have done remodels, they are the best place to start to find people.

The other thing I’ll say is whether you use a GC or DIY GC, you need a detailed and realistic schedule and budget for the project. Realistically nothing goes 100% according to plan, but the better job you do planning the better chance you have of avoiding huge cost overruns or the project going completely off the rails.

Right now is a tough time for projects. Labor is tight and material costs are high. Unless something really needs to get done ASAP, I’d be inclined to hold off 6-12 months to see if conditions improve.