09-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #64
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
When asking about the 650, you really need to look at the year - in particular, does it have the N63 or N63TU. The N63, in my opinion, should be avoided at all costs. It's notoriously unreliable. The N63TU, on the other hand, is a significant improvement - but still not a car you should own "lightly."

As the old saying goes, there's nothing more expensive than a used German luxury car. Now, that's not the way it NEEDS to be, but you should be prepared for it. In roughly 20 years of owning BMWs, some of which I've kept to around (and over) 100k miles (always purchased new), I've had very good experiences with them mechanically - even when the broader model has known for problems.

A few observations:

- BMW is fantastic at inline-6's - this is their heritage. The V8s? They're low volume.

- You need to know what you're buying - how was the car treated by the previous owner (if buying used)? Was it driven by a businessman on highway trips? Was it driven by a younger guy who tuned it and flogged it? I'd sooner buy a 50k mile car driven by the former than a 15k mile car owned by the latter.

- Preventative maintenance. Too many people, especially once the car is out of warranty, think that "oil changes" equate to maintenance. There's much more to it, so look for complete maintenance records. Cars with incomplete maintenance records should be avoided.

- Drive it respectfully - it's a powerful GT, not a sports car. Some people confuse high HP with thinking they can drive a GT as if it's a sports car. No, the engines weren't designed for racing - holding high revs, excessive heat dissipation, endurance on a road course, etc. It was designed for highway cruising, lots of air flow, high but constant speeds, and occasional kick-down for passing. That's where it's at home. Find the one that's been driven this way.

- City vs. Suburb vs. Rural. If I was buying a car like this used, I'd be going after the one that lived in a more rural area, followed by a suburb. I'd avoid a city car altogether. Stop and go, in general, is bad for anything mechanical - engine speeds, transmission, brakes, suspension, etc.

Overall, if the car was well maintained, driven as it was designed, not mechanically modded (e.g. tuned for extra boost), and lived in a low wear-and-tear environment, there's a decent chance it'll be a keeper IMHO. But even still, consider that it's a $100k+ car, and while cars depreciate, new parts and labor do NOT. So when (not if) something goes wrong, expect it'll cost you a pretty penny. It's not a 3-series, which in and of itself, isn't a Honda Civic. So, everything is relative.

If you're owning outside of the warranty period, decide whether to self insurance or get a warranty. If a $5k repair is going to break the bank, then buy a warranty.
On point!
Appreciate 0