Thread: Depreciation
View Single Post
      11-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #8
mgattmch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650iX GC

I purchased my 2015 650iX GC in January 2018, mint condition, fully loaded, still under warranty and CPO with only $20k miles on it. Worked out the original owner effectively paid $3/mile in depreciation! Do I love to own/drive this car? Absolutely, but, as soon as the CPO warranty expires I plan to sell the car. Reliability is the reason. Since owning the car the DSC module (electronics that controls all the cars safety features) has failed and been replaced under warranty. As has the steering wheel cassette and most of the camera system. These are all major repairs, fortunately all covered by the original warranty. No complaints about BMW doing the repair work expeditiously and well. The DSC and camera system failures occurred on a road trip to California. BMW Berkeley did a great job arranging for a loaner vehicle, quickly diagnosing the problem, ordering the parts and doing the repairs. Took something like 6 days in total to do both repairs. So in conclusion, poor reliability and ridiculous repair cost are probably the reason why our cars depreciate so fast. By contrast my wife's Lexus RX350 is the most reliable car I have ever owned, as are all the other Lexus cars we have owned.

Last edited by mgattmch; 11-03-2019 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0