02-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
I definitely agree there, not much else they could do other than replace some plastic with leather, or add some more styling. I believe the Ram even has air suspension for added luxuries.

I was more so saying Cadillac or Lincoln could have success in doing a luxury truck that is above their F150/Silverado, more so than the Germans. If a Blackwood were to come back, I think it would have a bigger market than it did 15-years ago.
I'm not sure about Lincoln and Cadillac, but its an expensive proposition to test. An $85K King Ranch doesn't leave much room for Lincoln to base a product on Ford's light truck line. Any engineering investment to differentiate a Lincoln Mark LT from a King Ranch, say a by adding 10L V10 that would require Federal crash testing and the logistics to support a new trim level and engine configuration, probably wouldn't make an economic business case. The Germans have no lower-tier corporate badges that compete with their luxury products, where as GM and FoMoCo do. If the Germans were to spend the capital to introduce luxury pickups, it might be considered a sales success simply because there are no lower-line models to compare to. I think MB would have the best chance since they actually make real trucks; BMW and Audi don't.

I went shopping for the Blackwood years back when Lincoln was giving them away because no one bought them, I dropped the idea because I couldn't see throwing 4x8 sheets or gravel or dirt in the bed. I had a F150 in work truck trim (i.e. below the XL trim ) at the time.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00