View Single Post
      03-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #1085
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Good to know, thanks. We have lived here for two years now. We're in SoCal, so there's not really winter care here.
The problem we have is the house creates shade in a large part of the yard year round. It is kiddy year round as a result. My wife understandably hates it because the dogs track it in the house. I suppose I could mark where the heads were in case my plan falls apart...I didn't see anything that had a shutoff feature at Home Depot but i also wasn't looking for that.
Also, when looking for the nicest pop-up heads they had, orbit seemed better than rainbird. The rainbirds were all plastic, and the orbit at least had a brass head.
Try SiteOne for getting your irrigation supplies. The stuff from the home stores aren't actually the same products as what a pro uses, look the same until you pick them up.

If you were able to get a brass nozzle I'm guessing it was a spray head? Most of Orbits products are junk but that nozzle is well made. That said there is a screw on the top middle of the nozzle that you can turn clockwise to shut the flow off without changing anything (on the old nozzles you likely had and the Orbit). Was it a Rainbird 1800 head with VAN nozzle?

If you have plastic VAN nozzles look into upgrading them to Hunter Mp Rotors, you won't have to change the head. That alone would solve much of the water issues since they lay the water down at a more controlled rate, aren't affected by wind, and use 30% less water. They are plastic but protected by a stainless steel collar. You can also adjust the distance and arch for precise watering. All of our systems use those and most new clients are converted over to them due to the issues you are experiencing. That's all I use at my house as well since my lawn is shaded and we also have pets. Only cost about $7 a piece and you'll be amazed as soon as you put them in.

Hope that helps and love that back hill landscape!
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00