View Single Post
      06-16-2020, 01:33 PM   #39
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and say the majority of people do not have enough saved by the time they want to retire to live off of capital gains and not care if there is a major market downturn (hopefully heavily in cash).

I personally am planning on getting into an FIA or similar product before retirement so that I can have a known and reliable income for the rest of my life. Whatever does not go into that will likely be play money and extra spending cash.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a financial analyst that would suggest you stay risky when you no longer have an income to fund the account, hence the reason the time horizon matters. That and a longer time horizon takes a lot more volatility out of the returns.
I agree with that - long horizon but different objectives for investments post retirement. Obviously Social Security, 401(k), defined benefit plan, etc - whatever an individual has - play into the post-retirement equation. What bothers me is when planners suggest a portfolio “ends” at retirement, as if the investments must be liquidated on that very day.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50