View Single Post
      06-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #37
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
This is why it is recommended to get a term insurance policy when you have large debt... so you don't have to worry about throwing every penny at a loan and you can worry about other stuff.

Being 50 makes your expected investment horizon a little shorter than would be optimal for an all market portfolio (expecting you will want to retire in your early/mid 60s). I feel like my investments will beat out my interest rate on my loan, probably with just inflation alone.
Being 50 should not shorten the horizon which would be to end of life, or beyond if you are planning to leave your assets to a spouse or heirs. This is a common error in retirement planning. With a balanced portfolio (and some rebalance may be appropriate as retirement approaches to generate more cash income although selling cap gains is a better tax strategy than dividends/interest), retirement becomes essentially irrelevant to the analysis.

What does matter is cash flow. If retirement creates a cash flow deficit then you might be over leveraged or too early to retire and lose work income.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5149.50
chassis6554.00