View Single Post
      08-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Test drove M6 Comp. Surprised and Disappointing.

I currently have 2 cars - 16 535i and 14 R8 V8 - looking to consolidate to a single car. Lots of highway driving, bad Michigan roads, winter driving (with snow tires).

Looking at an M6 Gran Coupe or coupe, whichever best deal I can find.

Drove a 15 M6 comp pack w 17k miles.

- Suspension was NOT stiff w comp pack. I read its stiff, IMO very smooth and compliant over any roads. I was shocked after reading forums stating its very stiff. The non comp pack must be too smooth?
- Luxury - while it has the "old" 5/6 platform interior still high quality.
- Seats were awesome.
- DCT - love DCT. Hate the new auto's.

Dislikes:
- Sound - too quiet in the cabin w stock exhaust. Even with ASD on not much interior cabin noise.
- Throttle blips - you could barely hear them in the cabin.
- Power - its a fast car, but not scary fast. Maybe I need to punch it

Initial impression: it is a VERY reserve car, I was expecting a more visceral experience in an M car. Although I felt the same when I stepped from my 10 M6 w E-race exhaust, drove a 13 M5 and walked away unimpressed.

I'm assuming the M6 Gran Coupe is reserve like the M6 coupe?

I might go drive an M3 sedan. I owned a 15 manual, wasn't a huge fan due to the numb steering, but I've read the comp pack fixed that.

I'm not saying I didn't LIKE the M6. Its a nice ride, but I expected a bigger step up in driving experience over my 535i M Sport in terms of sound and driving feel. I hopped back in my R8 for a quick drive, everything felt at a whole nother level - sound, luxury, feel...

Any "mods" that will wake up the M6? Exhaust is #1 on the list, but must be valved. I'm not interested in touching the suspension, it felt fine as is. Although I felt a bit more feedback in my 535i M Sport with the passive 704 suspension.

Decisions decisions...

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0