03-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #46
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
Gasoline is gasoline. The only difference, absent malfeasnace on the owner's part, is the additives put in by the name brands. Gasoline is entirely fungible, and all of the delivery trucks fill up at the same terminal off the same pipeline from the same refineries. BP, Chevron, Shell, and Mobile do not get their gasoline from BP, Chevron, Shell, or Mobile refineries.

That said, the additives are different between brands (though what the actual effect of them is is, of course, debatable). "Off brand" stations don't necessarily have to conform to tank, maintenance, and service standards as branded stations, and there's always a chance that the owners are doing something shady, but that's largely a thing of the past. Those inspection stickers on the pumps generally carry a certain amount of weight- gas stations are easy for a jursidiction to shut down, so the risk of screwing around with the gas is very high for a station owner.

Short form- brand loyalty in gas stations makes me laugh, because they're all the same.

On the octane testing, neversummer- your BMW dealer has actual octane test engines in house? That's remarkable!
I guess they have since BMW had major recalled on N54 engine. My friend's car was one of the recalls. They said that poor quality gas and low octane in US has been causing problem with high pressure fuel injector.
Appreciate 0