View Single Post
      02-21-2021, 10:58 AM   #1
DenHaag640d
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d xDrive

Greetings from a new 640d GC xDrive Owner...

Dear Forumites – I’ve returned to the fold after years on the Audi dark side (A7, SQ5, RS6), hopefully without picking up too much Audi arrogance, and earlier in life I also enjoyed my Bimmers (2002tii, 328i, 540i). I have long admired the look of the 6-series, and while the newer 3- and 5-series reflect sharp and functional Teutonic design, with the allure of a stealth fighter, it always seemed the 6-series was designed by an Italian, or in this case a young Iranian-German.

In the search for a successor to our beloved but aging and high-mileage A7, which included several nice Audis and a few functional but soulless Volvo SUVs that my wife initially fancied, a pre-loved 2016 640d xDrive caught my eye and soon stole our hearts. It nearly didn’t happen – our A7 and prior Audis were black-on-black, and lookin gat the 640d online photos my wife’s initial rection was “It looks pretty white to me”. She has only two fast rules when it comes to new cars – seat warmers and not white.

We scheduled a Corona safe viewing – in a lot outside the dealer, with masks and distancing. As we approached we took in a gorgeous color we still can’t clearly describe – silver-grey, sometimes a bit bluish, from another angle a very light beige tint , deep and luminescent – in BMW-speak, Moonstone Metallic.

Given the eye-watering Dutch new car taxes but a penchant for the better off to move on to something better after a few years, depreciation over 4 years reduced the price to less than 30% the new cost. Even better, it had been sold to an older, regular customer and diligently serviced thereafter by the same dealer (Bergwerff BMW), and by all indications had led a soft and cossetted life. The first hint was the option list – nearly everything, unless it involved an ‘M’. If buying new we might have chosen one of the stunning two-tone interiors, but the black and wood interior works perfectly with the exterior color. Understated elegance, and no after-market skirts, spoilers, ducts, faux-carbon, exhaust pipes, spacers, springs, or tinting. Some of the cars on this forum have been tastefully upgraded, but as a new and previously disinterested observer, others remind me of high-income versions of over-pimped boy racer 318s.

Thanks to all of you, the forum was helpful pre-purchase and will no doubt prove invaluable during our stewardship. In Holland we enjoy smooth, impeccably maintained roads, but nonetheless I’ve been spending time on the threads about changing out the RFTs, and then maybe a few other upgrades...

Name:  Maximum-4b1149dd-5630-eb11-b68f-0003ff30c329.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  206.2 KB

Name:  Maximum-501149dd-5630-eb11-b68f-0003ff30c329.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  171.5 KB

Name:  Maximum-4d1149dd-5630-eb11-b68f-0003ff30c329.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  169.1 KB

Last edited by DenHaag640d; 02-21-2021 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0