Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2001 Honda NSX  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thank you for clarifying. I would never put big brakes on an X5 or the E39 DD either. If BMW wants to sell some bling to their customers. They should have done it right from the beginning. It's just wrong to only have upgraded front calipers and single piston rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
I wasn't saying the brakes are adequate for track use...anyone who seriously tracks their car would replace them anyways, but for the intended customer the brakes are obviously engineered just fine. Adding extra pistons to the rear brakes would not help EITHER the track junkie OR the regular road user, it would only serve to appease people who love the bling factor of big brakes.

Those are the people I was going off on, because they drive me insane and this forum is full of them. Actual track cars absolutely need big brake kits, but I can't think of anyone who would look at a 4,000+lb, $100,000+ car and think of turning it into a track rat. If you want a track car, why start with something with so many luxuries?

On the point about BMW cheaping out so people go to Performance parts, I agree, but in a less cynical sense I would say they give us more choice. I can have the more hardcore car I want while someone else can have a car with brakes that are cheaper to replace, smaller, lighter, etc. instead of forcing every M6 buyer to have 18" carbon ceramic brakes with 10 pistons at each corner.

Last edited by Envyscorpio; 02-13-2012 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0