Thread: Pet Insurance?
View Single Post
      11-06-2023, 02:01 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I'm sure it will be an unpopular opinion in this thread, but Y'all are crazy spending that amount of coin on the health of an animal. I get needing to throw some money at it, but thousands and thousands? Lots of times, vets are just going to throw darts at an issue and usually high cost to you.

I did spend $1500 to cut the back leg off our prior cat because the feline leukemia vaccine gave him cancer in that leg, but that is all the work we were willing to put in on him. He lived another 4 years before the cancers showed back up and took him out. We also spent $800 on our current cat to figure out her asthma attacks. Vets had no clue, ran all sorts of wasteful tests, lots of speculation on their end, and them wanting more money to run more tests. On a whim, I monitored pollen types and counts vs when she got the attacks. It turned out when nettles pollen counts were high, she had attacks. I started giving her Claritin and no more attacks.

I do think vets prey on people's crazy bonkers love for their animals.