08-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #18
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
A little background, I have been an audiophile for 30 years. I've built my own preamps, amps, speakers, etc. I worked at Thiel Audio for a while. Current home system is Thiel/Dynaudio, modified Oppo BDP-105, Bryston 4b Pros, etc. All installed in a double wall/isolated room in room, fully treated listening environment. I only mention this, as I have a pretty decent reference system to use for subjective comparisons. I also happen to have the tools necessary to make an objective adjustment to the BMW B&O system. I used a Behringer USB DAC for input/output, Behringer mic preamp/mixer, and Room EQ Wizard. Mic was mounted *approximately where drivers head would be. Measurements were done in a garage, car doors and windows closed. Vehicle is a 2013 M6 convertible, so your GC and Coupes will likely measure differently. Pictures pasted below for reference. All testing/settings are with B&O "Studio" Mode.

I've made 3 minor tweaks based on subjective listening so far. I turned the "Bass" adjustment up one click, "Treble" down one click, and 10KHz down one click. Blue line is before, purple line is after. I was also going to look at things like impulse, decay, etc, but honestly they are so bad in a car environment with so many speakers and reflection points, not to mention the phase/delay trickery B&O uses for imaging adjustments, I'm not even going to post them....

Also, yes I only measured down to 55Hz as below that the B&O system uses some sort of dynamic loudness control that throws things out of whack. I was getting too much distortion to make the measurements accurate. Can't really make any adjustments down there with this system regardless, so no real point in the data. All I know is it peaks pretty hard around 45 and then rolls sharp. Turning down the "Bass" adjustment does let the system breathe a bit lower without getting boomy, turning down the bass actually makes more real bass if that makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patchesj View Post
A little background, I have been an audiophile for 30 years. I've built my own preamps, amps, speakers, etc. I worked at Thiel Audio for a while. Current home system is Thiel/Dynaudio, modified Oppo BDP-105, Bryston 4b Pros, etc. All installed in a double wall/isolated room in room, fully treated listening environment. I only mention this, as I have a pretty decent reference system to use for subjective comparisons. I also happen to have the tools necessary to make an objective adjustment to the BMW B&O system. I used a Behringer USB DAC for input/output, Behringer mic preamp/mixer, and Room EQ Wizard. Mic was mounted *approximately where drivers head would be. Measurements were done in a garage, car doors and windows closed. Vehicle is a 2013 M6 convertible, so your GC and Coupes will likely measure differently. Pictures pasted below for reference. All testing/settings are with B&O "Studio" Mode.

I've made 3 minor tweaks based on subjective listening so far. I turned the "Bass" adjustment up one click, "Treble" down one click, and 10KHz down one click. Blue line is before, purple line is after. I was also going to look at things like impulse, decay, etc, but honestly they are so bad in a car environment with so many speakers and reflection points, not to mention the phase/delay trickery B&O uses for imaging adjustments, I'm not even going to post them....

Also, yes I only measured down to 55Hz as below that the B&O system uses some sort of dynamic loudness control that throws things out of whack. I was getting too much distortion to make the measurements accurate. Can't really make any adjustments down there with this system regardless, so no real point in the data. All I know is it peaks pretty hard around 45 and then rolls sharp. Turning down the "Bass" adjustment does let the system breathe a bit lower without getting boomy, turning down the bass actually makes more real bass if that makes sense.
I just put these settings in my F06 GC and could not be happier. Before these settings my speakers sounded like SHIT in comparison. Thanks for taking the time and sharing! Night and Day difference.
Appreciate 0