02-09-2021, 09:37 AM   #63
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Another option for bmw, is to go back to some of their classic design language that people look back at with nostalgia. Retro is definitely marketable, so why not make an electric 2002 homage and offer it with an electric or hybrid option? Could even make an M variant. I think this would be really successful and help bmw carve out their own niche based on design language that historically works.

Just my opinion obv. I'm no expert but a consumer looking at certain car buying trends and anecdotal evidence from the cars I've seen my family/friends purchase.

make this thing with an electric motor:
Funny you mentioned that. Top Gear recently interviewed the designers and discussed retro car designs and their Homage Concept Cars.

Apparently the idea behind a retro modern EV BMW saw positive reception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Gear
"That was a faithful recreation of a concept car created by Marcello Gandini," van Hooydonk said. "The most interesting reactions were from the American market, where people said: 'if you make that as an electric car, that would be my next car'.

"People resonate very positively to something that they know - and can relate to - and new technology. There might be something there that can work in the marketplace."
But apparently, according to Hooydonk, retro modern designs are a sign of weakness and of a lost brand :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Gear
Sadly, this doesn't mean van Hooydonk and his team are interested in, for argument's sake, recreating the E21 with the internals of the i4. "I feel that retro design works well if you want to reposition a brand that has sort of lost its way," he said. "You want to trace back where you came from and pick up on the trail where you were successful and go on from there."
"We feel we should continue the fire, as opposed to worshipping the ashes, if you know what I mean," he concluded.
This is just more flustering and perplexing logic and thinking from BMW's designers. Its not like BMW themselves haven't done retro designed vehicles (Z8), and the fact that they own two brands who's entire vehicle portfolio is based on retro design (RR and Mini). Not to mention many other brands (who are far from lost as Hooydonk would say) have found success in retro designs, from the Mustang, Bronco, Wrangler, G-Wagon, Challenger, etc. They seem to be okay when designing a car that will only aim towards 20% of buyers and receive negative reception, yet when a concept gets praise from prospective customers it doesn't happen. :

Full Article: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ret...-happening?amp
Attached Images

Sublime001137.00