View Single Post
      02-09-2021, 09:25 AM   #62
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Im pretty sure BMW isn't targeting most people on a bimmerpost forum.

I would say most people here are enthusiasts about performance models and they aren't enthusiasts regarding leasing/buying entry level 3, 5, X3, X5 models.

Bmw, Lexus, MB, Audi are all trying to not lose market share to people who want the entry level luxury car with brand panache, and those buyers are flocking to Tesla. Tesla has also cornered the market of people who just aren't into cars.

I can understand traditional car companies scrambling to get these Tesla buyers, but I don't think they'll make a significant dent in Tesla sales and Tesla's market share will continue to grow. Until people stop viewing Elon Musk like he's Tony Stark, and Tesla stops being "cool" among the masses, I think the competing auto companies will continue to struggle to get people into their electric cars but you need to develop the tech to future proof your cars as ICE go away.

It's like if Tesla started targeting M buyers; they would not be very successful.

Also, the new bmw design language for their electric cars is fugly. If they make a decent looking car it'll help, or do what Lexus is going to do, redesign the cars as needed and electrify all these pointless entry level cars like the aforementioned 3, 5, x3, x5, etc. Keep a few ICE models around like those in the M division and continue growing market share.

Another option for bmw, is to go back to some of their classic design language that people look back at with nostalgia. Retro is definitely marketable, so why not make an electric 2002 homage and offer it with an electric or hybrid option? Could even make an M variant. I think this would be really successful and help bmw carve out their own niche based on design language that historically works.

Just my opinion obv. I'm no expert but a consumer looking at certain car buying trends and anecdotal evidence from the cars I've seen my family/friends purchase.

make this thing with an electric motor:
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
stein_325i25083.00
..Rush..973.50
ried791.50